Ceviche

Riddle & Finns

1/05/2014 02:31:00 pm


Here goes my first ever food post! Enjoy!
Over the recent festive period I took a trip down to Brighton, my old University town. During my stay I visited Riddle & Finns, a champagne and oyster restaurant which opened its doors in 2006, in Brighton's famous Lanes and more recently opening Riddle & Finns II on Brighton seafront.
Unfortunately on the evening of my visit the Beachfront restaurant was fully booked and the Lanes do not take bookings, however I was able to walk into the Lanes branch and put my name on a waiting list (I can assure you it was well worth the wait of just over an hour!)
We were sat on a table for four, opposite a couple we did not know, however the tables are large enough and divided by a candelabra so not to invade on each others privacy.
Shortly after being seated at our table we were presented with a bread basket with the most beautiful potted mackerel as an accompaniment. Along with the drinks orders we thought it would be rude not to have an Oyster or two, the waitress recommended the oyster of the day which were Bournemouth Oysters and possibly the best oysters I have ever tasted!
Having browsed the menu in between eating the oysters and sipping prosecco, I found myself unable to decide on  a starter, they all looked absolutely amazing! I had to ask the waitress for recommendations! We whittled it down to the Sea Bream Ceviche which was sensational, I am a huge lover of Sushi so the raw fish was a great choice. The sea bream had been marinated in lime juice which 'cooks' the fish and served on a bed of lettuce leaves with thinly sliced red onion, sweet corn and chilli. I honestly cannot describe the taste to you, it was just sensational!
One of the main reasons for the above starter recommendation, was because my choice of main was rather filling, the squid and shellfish risotto. I am a bit of a sucker for risotto, it is always my number one choice and mixing it with seafood is just perfection in my eyes. When this dish was placed in front of me, I absolutely melted inside, it looked amazing!
There is nothing worse than being served a seafood dish with a lack of seafood... this dish was FULL to the brim with clams, mussels, king prawns and squid which were all swimming in the most beautiful creamy risotto I have ever tasted! To top it off was a piece of fried calamari which again was absolutely beautiful. I was unable to finish the dish, there was just so much of it! the portion sizes at Riddle and Finns are far from Stingy!

My whole experience at Riddle & Finns was perfect, the food was sensational, the staff were amazing and the value for money is unbelievable!
I am already thinking about my next trip to Riddle & Finns and would recommend anyone visiting Brighton to eat here.


You Might Also Like

0 comments